End Of An Era - LOGAN Thoughts


There has be a lot of movies released over the time of my hiatus or should I say that I've seen quite of a bit of movies. More and more I try to avoid any movie that I feel will be generic or just another cinematic universe building film because I just don't care about those anymore. Not to say that I am staying away from superhero films because superhero films aren't the only ones trying to stay in the cinematic universe building game. 

Recently I have just watched Logan for the first time and I while I really enjoyed it I can't help but feel like it was a end of an era. That same feeling of having to move on. Modern movies have certainly lost their edge compared to what they used to and that not to say that they have become worse. That statement just isn't true as there will always be bad movies but the good ones will continued to be remember and often looked at when movies are released that year. No what I am talking about is the "playing it safe" factor that I see in so many modern movies. 

I mention Logan because it reminded me of why I like when movies take chances and try something new even at the cost of a marketable film. After watching X-Men: Apocalypse last year I said to myself "its time to end the X-Men movies" After watching Logan, I said the same thing, but the meaning was completely opposite to prior statement. The prior, a sense that this franchise and others like it have plateaued and no longer had anything new to offer. The former, a satisfying conclusion to a long running story that now has come full circle. Nothing else it needed to tell after its already been done. 

Now I know there will continue to be X-Men movies. Even as I am typing this the studio is probably announced a whole slate of movies planned to 2030. But that doesn't necessarily mean I have to watch them or even considered them a continuation. Now I days I find myself deciding when and where a movie series should end even though more sequels are released to follow. 

Naruto is a long running franchise that I have kept up with for close to 13 years now. But, similar to X-Men, the series has ended. Well not exactly. The story contributed by the original creator has ended. But the "story" goes on in the form of the "Next Generation" by the studios that know Naruto makes money. I know I don't have to watch it and I don't plan to, as for me the story has ended. 

Which makes me think about the future of movies, of course we will still get great stand alone films but more and more are we getting movies that are made by a chart that says what the average person does and doesn't want to see in a movie with an end result of mediocrity. Where as just a few years ago I was going to the theaters as much as I could to see every movie was that released to today where I see maybe one or two movies actually in theaters.


SHARE ON:

Like to talk about movies. Reviewing any movie I see or find interesting enough to talk about. Follow me on any of the Social Networks down Below.

    Blogger Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment