X-Men: Apocalypse (2016) Movie Review


So I guess no X-Men movie will top First Class...

X-Men: Apocalypse is the latest film in the new X-Men trilogy of films that now begins to crossover into the original timeline where familiar characters begins to show up and the world has changed from the events of past films.

This movie was better than I was expecting but man was it all over the place. The editing and pacing was choppy, the writing wasn't focused, and it felt like the direction of the film was more interesting on making scenes over the top and disconnected than the rest of the film. There was decent set up for the previous character for what you think will be a character arc but the film doesn't deliver. 

Apocalypse as a villain isn't dived into at all in terms of his past of what and why he wants to do what he does. I like mysteries but with a villain like this you need to have some sort of idea of what he is. 

Another thing I feel the need to talk about is the excessive amount of CGI in this movie. It isn't the excursiveness that is the problem but the fact that all of it looks like a PS2 game. On top of that, the entire end fights of the movie are almost all CGI and they go crazy over the top with it. So much that shots are exaggerated and tiled with shaking the camera, basically making it really hard to tell what is going on.

I feel like the X-Men universe have really put themselves in a corner with connecting these multiple timelines. With Days of Future Past, you are able the see the ultimate outcome for all the characters and the world. So going into this movie, I already knew the outcome for everyone and with the real conflict of the movie being that the world will be ending, there wasn't a tension at all for whether or not any of that would happen.
 
More and more I wish that Matthew Vaughn had stuck with the series to finish out this trilogy where I'm sure everything would be better executed. The movie also shows multiple clips from First Class, which only reminds you how much better that film was. I hear a lot of people saying this film isn't anywhere near as bad as The Last Stand but thinking back I at least remember that film for taking risks. Even the plot of the film felt nature in the progression on which the previous film had established. 

Apocalypse is one of the weakest X-Men films I've seen and it really doesn't get me excited for the future of this X-Men trilogy.

Rating:


 
 

SHARE ON:

Like to talk about movies. Reviewing any movie I see or find interesting enough to talk about. Follow me on any of the Social Networks down Below.

    Blogger Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment